If you’re reading this post, chances are you are thinking about applying for a position here at Grant Street Group, and we are pleased to have your consideration. We’re not a tech giant or a household name, so even after learning about our culture or what we do, you’re likely still wondering if this is an opportunity worth pursuing. You may be thinking about the risk associated with making a change, and the training/onboarding that plays a significant factor in your success. We believe that your first few weeks and months on the job are vital to your success. So, should you take this leap?
Unfortunately, we can’t answer that for you.
What we can do is be as transparent as possible about our onboarding process here at Grant Street, including what you should expect of us and what we expect of you.
What you should expect of us:
- Our team works diligently to provide you with the structure to learn about our software, business processes, and company culture throughout your onboarding experience. You will be greeted on the first day with an onboarding schedule complete with pre-planned training sessions, mentor sessions, and team lead sessions.
- You can’t learn what you need to know in only your first week. That’s why our formal onboarding lasts anywhere from 4-8 weeks, depending on your role. Even after that, you’ll never know it all. Learning is continuous and you should expect to be learning something new here everyday.
- You will have support from a variety of people. Your team lead and onboarding mentor are your formal sources of help and advice, but everyone here is committed to your success. Feedback is immediate and constructive because we want everyone to understand where they stand and where they can improve.
What we expect of you:
- We throw a lot of information your way, and you will feel behind even though you aren’t. You will make to-do lists, to-read lists, to-ask lists, outlines, scripts, diagrams, doodles – all before you ever tackle what’s in your job description. This is normal and this is intentional. Savor this time to dedicate yourself fully to learning.
- Because of our steep learning curve, we encourage you to ask for help when you need it. Being open with us about what you understand and where you need help will help you succeed.
- We expect you to ask questions. To say that we are “question-friendly” is an understatement. You will not learn everything you need to know without asking questions. Dig deeper, go down the rabbit hole, and satisfy every ounce of intellectual curiosity. You’re joining a company of people who love to be subject matter experts, but more than that, they love sharing that knowledge with anyone who is curious to know more.
How can I guarantee success in onboarding?
There is no guarantee, but fairness prevails.
Some companies refer to the onboarding period as a time to “test out” a new employee. Onboarding at GSG is not an audition. If we make you an offer, we make a commitment to do everything we can to ensure your success. Your onboarding process will reflect that.
We also want to be clear that what makes GSG such a great place to work is our culture and environment filled with high-performers, so it is only fair to our employees and clients to have people work here that meet those expectations. Sometimes our new employees don’t find a perfect fit with us. This happens occasionally, not because we ever want this result, but because interviews are an imperfect process. If it does, we are committed to fairness, which includes severance, regardless of whether you or GSG decides it’s not the best fit.
Should I take the leap?
Thankfully, you don’t have to decide yet! Our comprehensive interview process is designed as a two-way street in which you are interviewing us just as much as we are interviewing you. We can’t imagine asking you to take the leap after only talking to one person. You’ll have the opportunity to speak with future team members, members of management, and HR to make a fully-informed decision.
If you’re interested in learning more, we’d encourage you to take a step (not a leap!) by completing an application for one of our current openings.
We hope to see you soon!